Euthanasia

Homepage Forums Discussion Forum Euthanasia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarahboo2002
    Participant

Hi miss, I am now revising Euthanasia. On the arguments that might suggest a supporter of natural law might support euthanasia, it says that you don’t have to force a person to have treatment, becasue treatment is excessive. I’m not sure what this means- does it mean that medicine and treatment isn’t a ‘natural’ thing so it is not a big issue if it is not used? I thought that Aquinas said that you have to do everything you can to preserve life; would treatemnt for illnesses not come under this? Thanks

Aimee Horsley
    Keymaster

Really good question! This is a good evaluation point due tot eh unclarity of the primary precepts in action. it says preserve life but then medication, organ transplants, pace makers etc can be seen as unnatural. So this could be a case for Doctrine of double effect. However when the Pope said that, the emphasis is on the word ‘excessive’ so treatment such as a third round of Chemotherapy cannot be forced upon a person. Medicine and treatment could be seen as a ‘natural’ progression f human reason but within itself is not always natural. This is the discussion you would have in an answer. Hope this helps 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.